TubeBuddy uses valid industry standard SSL certificates, and as a result the vast majority of our customers do not experience any SSL errors when using our plugin or site. Still there are some situations which can cause specific customers to get an SSL related error. The most common error is a trust issue, which we'll address in this solution. The solution described applies to PCs, but similar concepts apply for Macs. If you have trouble resolving this issue on a Mac, please email us for assistance.
To give a little background, most computers only trust a handful of certificates (approximately 50). It's not realistic for a computer to directly trust every SSL certificate on the internet because Windows would have to update all day every day to keep up with the list of trusted certificates. So instead certificates create a chain of trust. Your computer trusts those 50 certificates, but it also trusts any unknown certificate that was created based on one of those certificates. So in order to fix the error you are seeing with the TubeBuddy certificate, we just need to make sure all of the certificates used to create the TubeBuddy certificate are trusted on your computer.
Steps to fix:
1. Download the attached files USERTrust RSA Certification Authority.cer and SSL.com DV CA.cer to your computer.
2. Double click on the file USERTrust RSA Certification Authority.cer.
3. Click Install Certificate
4. For Store Location choose Local Machine then click Next.
5. Choose Place all certificates in the following store then click the Browse button and choose Trusted Root Certification Authorities then click Next and Finish.
6. The top level certificate in our trust chain is now trusted. Next we need to trust the intermediate certificate.
7. Double click on the file SSL.com DV CA.cer.
8. Click Install Certificate
9. For Store Location choose Local Machine then click Next.
10. Choose Place all certificates in the following store then click the Browse button and choose Intermediate Certification Authorities then click Next and Finish.
11. At this point, all of the certificates in the TubeBuddy certification chain are trusted. Please go to https://www.tubebuddy.com and make sure the site loads without a certificate error. If you still get an error, please send a screenshot to support.